Both Eucalyptus radiata (e.radiata) and Eucalyptus smithii (e.smithii) share the same family roots with over 200 varieties of Eucalyptus trees; however, only about five trees are used to make essential oils. And, each of those essential oils has properties in common, and differs in many ways as well. Eucalyptus comes from the root word Eucalyptos, meaning “well-covered”, and Eucalyptus essential oil, in general, is useful for overall health and wellness, and treating the body for many conditions.
How are Eucalyptus radiata and Eucalyptus smithii Similar?
- radiata and E. smithii are both useful for respiratory conditions, like colds, flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia.
- Both are effective for cuts, wounds, burns, inflammation and skin infections.
- Both varieties fight staph, E.coli, Salmonella, Candida, H.Pylori, and are excellent disinfectants for the air, household cleaning, and treating the body.
- Both are useful to soothe pain and stiffness of joints and muscles, and make good ingredients for massage oils.
OK, Then How are they Different?
- Is absorbed better into the deep layers of the skin to reduce inflammation with strains, sprains, torn tendons and ligaments, cuts and wounds.
- Is stronger, faster and more effective as a decongestant.
- Works as a protective immune system booster.
- Has more anti-microbial effectiveness.
- Is more easily tolerated by sensitive skin and nasal passages, especially by babies, toddlers and elderly people who tend to have thinner skin.
- Is more effective in steam and mist, and can be used for longer periods of time as a preventative measure against cold and flu season.
- Is a powerful expectorant, used as a chest rub and applied on the soles of the feet.
- Combines both stimulant and sedative properties, following Nature, so it brings clarity and alertness during the daytime, and calm, restful energy at nighttime.
As you can see, there are good reasons to keep both e.radiata and e.smithii in your medicine chest, giving your family the very best natural remedies and wellness boosters that Eucalyptus provides.
You can add a few drops to any of your household cleaners and your laundry, too, for disinfecting counters, floors, bathrooms, door handles and more.
AND, remember to keep yourself strong and healthy, too! You can even put a drop or two in your shower or in your body wash, to give yourself a spa-worthy steam treatment to start your day off with a boost to your immune system!
Eucalyptus is truly an ESSENTIAL oil!