Sri Lanka Spicy!
Cinnamon Leaf comes from the Cinnamon Tree, which is in the laurel family. It is native to Sri Lanka, and now grows in India, China, Bangladesh and Indonesia. Cinnamon Leaf oil is lighter, less expensive and perfect for regular use, as opposed to Cinnamon Bark oil which is redder, more expensive and more potent, often used in perfumes.
The ancient Phoenicians called it “kinnammon”, while the Hebrews of that time called it “kinamon”. The ancient Greeks bartered with Phoenician traders for this precious spice. In fact, the Greek historian, Herodotus, mentions cinnamon in his writings, relating that great birds flew with cinnamon sticks up into the air to use for making their nests!
The cinnamon leaf contains 80% phenols, which help with many benefits to the body. Cinnamon Leaf essential oil has antiseptic, antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-oxidant properties, due to a large percentage of the eugenol it contains.
Here are three benefits:
- Disinfectant: Cinnamon Leaf essential oil is a non-toxic natural disinfectant. When combined with tea tree, lemon, or clove oil, and diffused into the air, kills 99% of airborne bacteria within 12 minutes. It is safe and non-toxic to use in your kitchen or bathroom to clean appliances and fixtures, counters, microwave, refrigerator, and is effective on your wood cutting board too!
- Lice and Other Creepy Crawlies: Cinnamon Leaf is like garlic to a vampire for lice, scabies, dust mites and bedbugs! Put about 4 drops in an ounce of water and use a small spray bottle to mist mattresses, kids’ toys, pillows, etc. to discourage them. You can add a drop to your shampoo or body wash. Your hair will be extra healthy and it kills any lice or scabies fast!
- Fungus: If you suffer from Athlete’s Foot, toenail fungus, candida, or wear closed toe shoes, boots or sneakers that are stinky when you take them off, start soaking your feet in a pail of water with a few drops of Cinnamon Leaf oil added. It will kill the bacteria and fungus. For toenails, the properties combine to dry the nail, treat for candida, improve circulation and prevent recurrence.
Tip: Make your own face scrub by mixing:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 2 Tablespoons of orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive or coconut oil
- 2 drops of cinnamon leaf oil
It makes an antiseptic scrub that kills bacteria and heals pimple outbreaks, keeping your skin silky smooth, with a healthy glow!